Monday 14 November 2011

Development testing

Development work covered during lesson
In order to see whether my IMP worked the way I wanted it to and whether there were any faults I decided to carry out development testing. This is where you test different aspects of the IMP as if the user was using it and recored it on a table showing the test being carried out, expected result, actual result, problem and the action taken to fix the problem. I carried this out whilst I was creating my IMP rather than at the end because I wanted to make sure that when I finished my IMP there were as few faults as possible, however I also did one final check after I had finished my IMP to ensure everything was working correctly. It is extremely important to do this as it ensures that I have found the faults within my IMP and fixed them to ensure that when the user uses my IMP it will run smoothly and efficiently. In order to carry out development testing I first had to open the programme that I created my IMP in, which was Adobe Flash. When this opened I selected Action Script 3.0 as this was the software I used when creating my IMP. Next I opened my IMP by going to 'File', 'Open', selecting the 'forms' document from H:\Applied ICT\Unit 11\E block video and then opening it in Flash. Once I had done this the first aspect that I decided to test of my IMP was a test to see if the 'Play options' button on the Main menu worked correctly. I opened my IMP to test it by clicking CTRL + Enter, which opened the IMP in a seperate screen and then I clicked the 'Play options' button. When clicked the 'Play options' button should lead to another screen where there are different options on how to view the film, however instead the button went to the 'interactive features' form. In order to find out what was wrong I first went onto the first frame of the code layer and selected 'actions', which then opened a large box with the codes in. I then looked at the 'Play options' button code and found that 'frmInteractivefeatures' was in place where 'frmPlayoptions' should be as this is the form where I want the button to lead to. Therefore In order to solve this problem I simply changed the code for the Play options button so that 'frmPlayoptions' was visible instead of 'frmInteractivefeatures'. After this I then tested the button again to see if it was working and it did what it was meant to do.


The next test I did was to see whether the 'play film' button worked correctly. I clicked CTRL + Enter to open the IMP and navigated myself to the 'Play options' screen and clicked the 'Play film' button. This button was meant to play the full film, however instead it did nothing. Again I looked at the code and found that in the section related to this button the file name of where the button should lead to was 'OpenMovie' when the actual file name didn't have any capital letters in. I didn't think this would of had that much affect on the button however when I removed the capital letters and tested the IMP the button worked the way I wanted it to. I also did a test to see if the interactive features button was working correctly. I opened the IMP by clicking CTRL + Enter as I had done with all of the other tests and then I clicked the 'Interactivefeatures' button on the main menu to see if it was working. When I clicked the button it should have led to the interactive form however instead it stayed on the main screen and didnt go anywhere. It was important that I fixed this because the interactive features make up at least half of my IMP and if the user was not able to get to them then my IMP wouldnt be very helpful. I went onto the code by right clicking the first frame of the code layer and then selecting actions. I then found the section of the code that related to the interactive features button and I found that there was a missing bracket underneath the first section so I decided to put a bracket there to see if that was preventing the button from working. I then tested the button by opening the IMP on a seperate screen (CTRL + Enter) and then clicking the 'interactive features' button on the main menu. When I clicked the button it went onto the Interactive features forms and therefore it was the missing bracket that made the button not work correctly.


Another test that I decided to do was to see if the scratch game revealed a picture when the mouse hovers and clicks over the box. In order to test the scratch game I first needed to open the document as the game was not on the same document as the forms. I did this by going to the 'file' tab, selecting 'open', finding the scratch game document which was located in H:\Applied ICT\Unit 11\E block video and then clicked 'open'. I then tested the scratch game by  clicking CTRL + Enter and then holding down the left mouse click and hovering it over the coloured box. Instead of revealing a picture like it should have done nothing happened and the coloured box did not slowly disappear. In order to fix this I found that I had forgot to convert the picture to a symbol so I clicked the picture and pressed F8 and named it 'maskedbg_mc' as this was the name I needed to give it in order to work correctly. When I tested the scratch game again it worked the way it was supposed to and the coloured box gradually disappeared. As well as that I also decided to test the ICT quiz to see whether it came up with 'correct' or 'incorrect' when it was supposed to. I tested this by opening the quiz in Flash by going to 'file', 'open' and then selecting the ICT quiz document located in H:\Applied ICT\Unit 11\E block video. Once the document had opened in Flash I opened it in a seperate screen by clicking CTRL + Enter and then I was able to test the quiz to see whether it was working correctly. When the first question appeared I clicked the first answer as I knew this was correct, however it came up that the answer was incorrect and therefore this was a major error in the game. I knew that this problem was probably due to an error in the code and therefore I went onto the code layer, looked at question 1 and I found that I had put answer (2) as the correct answer so I changed it to '(0) as this was the correct answer. I then tested the ICT quiz again by clicking CTRL + Enter, then selecting the correct answer and It came up with 'correct', which therefore meant that I had fixed the problem. 


Whilst creating my IMP there were also many other tests that I carried out to ensure that there were as few problems as possible and to see where I could improve on. I decided to carry out another test on the ICT quiz to make sure it was the best possible. Once I had opened the quiz up in Adobe Flash Action script 3.0 I clicked CTRL + Enter to open it up on a new screen where I was able to click the buttons and see if it was working as it should. I decided to have another look at the questions to see that all of the possible answers were sufficient and that there was only one correct answer for each question. The only fault that I could find was in question 3 where I didn't think that the answers were sufficient so I decided to look on the internet to try and find a better answer. After I had done my research I decided to swap the answer 'operating system' to 'Microsoft Excel' as this was more relevant to the question. I also did another test on the ICT quiz which was to make sure the title was in the correct position and could be seen by the user. I tested this by clicking CTRL + Enter and then I looked on the screen that opened to see whether the title was in the correct place. When I did this I was unable to find the title on the screen which is bad because the user wont know what quiz it is and therefore it may not have the information they are looking for. I fixed this problem by clicking the text box and moving it inside the canvas so that when the quiz opened the title would also be on the screen. 


As well as that I also tested the 'scene 2' button on the 'scene selection' page to ensure that it worked the way it was supposed to. Firstly I opened the 'form' document in Flash again and then clicked CTRL + Enter so that I was able to use the IMP. I then navigated my way to the scene selection screen which meant I was also testing the other buttons in the pathway to ensure they were working at the same time. Once I reached the scene selection screen I clicked the 'scene 2' button and I expected it to open up scene 2 of the film. However the actual result that I got was that it didn't open anything and instead it just stayed on the same screen. To fix this problem I looked on the code and found that I had forgot to write 'swf' beside the file name so therefore I added it, then tested the button again and it worked correctly. In addition to that I also decided to test my drag and drop button to see whether it was working the way it should. The result I expected to see when I tested the drag and drop puzzle was that the when I clicked the puzzle pieces and dragged them across the screen they should have moved, however the actual result I got was that one of the four puzzle pieces did not move and the other three other pieces did move. When I was trying to figure out  why the puzzle pieces wasn't moving I found that I had forgot to convert that particular image into a symbol and therefore in order to fix this problem I selected the puzzle piece, clicked F8, gave it an appropriate name and then it worked correctly. The last test that I carried out whilst creating my IMP was the gallery. Once I had opened the gallery up in Adobe Flash Action Script 3.0 I clicked CTRL + Enter and tested it to see whether it was working the way it should be. The result I expected to happen was that when I clicked each thumbnail at the bottom the corresponding image should appear above. However the actual result I got was that when I clicked one of the thumbnails at the bottom the correct image did not appear above. I fixed this problem by looking at the code on the actions layer to see what was wrong and then I changed ‘button1’ to ‘btn1’ as this is what the actual button was named.


How the development work fitted into the client brief
I stated in paragraph F of my client brief that I would carry out development testing whilst creating my IMP to ensure that It was working correctly and there were not problems that the user would come across when using it. It is very important that I carried out development testing because otherwise I wouldn't have noticed a lot of the faults within my IMP and then the user would come across many problems when using the IMP, which could prevent them getting the best out of the IMP. Below is part of paragraph F where I discussed development testing:


'I will also carry out development testing throughout the creation of my IMP to ensure that everything is working correctly and that there are no faults that the user will come across when using the IMP to ensure that the IMP appears professional.'

New skills table reference number
12


No comments:

Post a Comment